Sustainable Baby & Kids Clothing
It's Organic September and we want to talk sustainability. With the mounting concern that we’re destroying our planet for future generations now more than ever is the time for us to make sustainable choices.
Of course, sustainability covers many things; from reducing the environmental impact of manufacturing processes, cutting out toxic chemicals, and ensuring ethical work practices and fair pay.
Here are some helpful hints and tips when buying baby and children’s clothing:
- Choose organic cotton clothing. Our Chetna Organic farmers use natural farming techniques without the use of toxic chemicals. Organic cotton has a 46% reduced global warming potential compared with conventionally grown cotton.
- Transparency is key when it comes to sustainability. Be sure to buy from brands who share who makes their clothes and find out where they source their materials. Get more informed about the brands you’re buying from to ensure that their values are aligned with yours.
- Every item of new clothing has a carbon footprint. Only buy clothes you know your baby or child will wear.
- Opt for trans-seasonal baby and kids clothing ahead of seasonal fashion. It’s far more sustainable to buy clothes that will be worn all-year round than shell out on an entire seasonal wardrobe.
- Dressing your kids in quality clothing, over quantity of clothing is vital to a more sustainable wardrobe. Buy less and use for longer. Choose well made clothing with longer lasting fits to get the most out of your children’s clothes.
- Donate the clothing your kids have grown out of. If you don’t have a family member or friend to hand outgrown kidswear onto then donate to a local charity who are crying out for baby and children’s clothes.