This year the Piccalilly team decided to do away with cheap chocolate advent calendar’s and create something a little more meaningful. We all know that the ritual of opening and receiving a daily advent gift is exciting, but let’s be honest giving back is so much more special and makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So, we’ve started a new tradition here at Piccalilly HQ by creating a reverse advent calendar that can be completed in time for distribution before Christmas to our local food bank.
What is a reverse advent calendar?
The idea is simple; instead of opening the door to a little chocolate or picture, we do the giving. To symbolise each day of advent a member of the Piccalilly team puts aside a donation in our advent box. As we've chosen this year to send the gifts to our local food bank the donations mainly comprised of food items, but we included toiletries and of course some of our organic babywear too. We made sure to include not just staple food items but also luxury Christmas products like chocolates and Christmas puddings.
We decided to start our reverse advent calendar box early to enable us to take it to our local food bank in time for distribution before Christmas.
Here’s a simple step by step guide of how you can create your own Reverse Advent Calendar this Christmas;
- Pick a charity, organisation or food bank you would like to donate to.
- Contact the organisation to find out what items they are most in need of and when you should drop them off.
- Create your box and if you’re collecting in the workplace create a list for everyone to cross check what items would be useful to contribute into the box.
- Get collecting and let the countdown begin!
- Finally, make sure to deliver your box in good time ahead of Christmas. We started our box in the middle of November for gifting the middle of December. This way someone can receive a nice parcel in time for Christmas day.