Save the Rainforest
Part of the Piccalilly Way of doing things is to think about the detail of how we make our organic baby clothes and kidswear. This includes the print designs too. It's important that our prints say something and opening up discussions about subjects that are really close to our hearts such as the RAINFOREST. Our Summer 2019 collections explore the animals and birds that make up one of the earths oldest eco-systems.
Why are we so passionate about rainforests?
- 20 percent of the planet’s oxygen is produced by the Amazon Rainforest alone.
- Rainforests are our best defence against climate change regulating global temperatures and weather patterns.
- Rainforests are home to more than half the worlds animal species. Sadly, many of these species are fighting extinction, and their continued existence is crucial to maintaining the balance of the rainforests' efficient—but delicate—ecosystems.
- Rainforests are critical to maintaining the Earth’s limited supply of drinking water, so they are critical for sustainability on earth.
- Rainforests are the world’s pharmacy with 25% of all modern medicines derived from their flora.
- Every minute the equivalent of thirty-six football fields is destroyed. Nearly half of the world’s original forest cover has now gone.
- 90% of people living in extreme poverty worldwide depend on forests for their livelihoods.
There are so many reasons to be passionate and fight for the rainforests. When it comes down to it, it’s really important to care and preserve them. If you think about how much of an impact the rainforests actually have on our life, even if we don’t live anywhere near a rainforest, you will really see the importance of keeping them around.
Here are just a few things we can all do to help protect our rainforests;
- Avoid palm oil, it’s a key contributor to rainforest deforestation.
- Buy more responsibly. Choose bananas a coffee grown in a sustainable way that is safe for the environment, for wildlife, and for the communities where it is grown.
- Create a habitat in your own garden for migrating birds
- Use less paper and always recycle it. Choose products with the highest percentage of recycled content.
Check out our new season organic baby and kids ranges featuring our new season Rainforest print designs.